What It Does
Capture employee working hours with breaks and hourly pay rate.
Use the Labor API to integrate Square Point of Sale timekeeping with applications for labor cost reporting, payroll, and overtime management. It can also be used to integrate a time-clock app with a Square account for Square Dashboard labor reporting or Square Payroll. The API supports multiple breaks per shift and multiple wage levels per employee.
Requirements and Limitations
- The Labor API cannot be used to assign job-based wages to an employee.
- The Labor API cannot be used to create new Employees.
Applications using OAuth require the following permissions:
- Retrieving employees: EMPLOYEES_READ
- Retrieving Workweek configurations, Employee wages and Break types: TIMECARDS_SETTINGS_READ, TIMECARD_SETTINGS_WRITE
- Creating, updating, retrieving, and deleting Shift: TIMECARDS_WRITE, TIMECARDS_READ.
Manage employee time tracking
Labor API can be used to track employee labor hours or import and export time keeping data to applications.
Track labor hours
Create a time keeping application for Square Account employees by providing the following features:
- Record start time, end time, and breaks for a employees work shift to compensate employess for their actual time worked.
- Set an hourly wage rate for a shift based on the job that an employee is doing on that shift.
- Set break templates with a human-readable title, default duration, and payroll status to standardize employee shifts.
Import or export labor hours
Import and export Square Account employee labor hours for timeclock, labor/sales reporting, and overtime management solutions by providing the following features:
- Export Square Account labor hours: Use the Labor API shift search endpoint to get labor hours data in a pay period for use in an existing payroll system.
Import timekeeping data: Track employee labor hours in an existing timeclock application and import the data
into a Square Account as
Shiftrecords. Generate labor/sales reports in the Square Dashboard or pay employees using Square Payroll.
Labor API is available for server-side development as a set of REST endpoints.
Note: A shift is a record of an employee's start and end time for a work period on a specific day. A shift records the hourly pay rate for the work period and the duration of any breaks taken. Shifts in the Labor API can replace Timecards in the Connect v1 API.