Look up solutions to common problems.
Your call returns an
AUTHENTICATION_ERROR error code.
Cause: Authorization errors are typically caused by typos or accidentally using mismatched credentials.
- Make sure you have replaced placeholders and default values in sample code with valid application credentials.
- Make sure you have configured your credentials correctly. For example, if you are testing calls in production, make sure you are not using sandbox credentials.
- Make sure you are using the right credential type. For example, application IDs are used for OAuth API calls but Personal Access Tokens are used in Transaction API calls.
- If you are using
SqPaymentFormto generate a credit card nonce, make sure the credentials you use in your
sqpaymentform.jsfile match the credentials you use for API calls that use that nonce.
- For REST calls, make sure you have set the Authorization header key to "Bearer" and a valid access token.
Note: Older APIs sometimes refer to the application ID as a client ID (
Your call returns an
EXPECTED_INTEGER error code.
Cause: The EXPECTED_INTEGER error code means Square was expecting information as an integer but it was sent as
something else (for example, a string or a float). The most common cause is a Money object
with an invalid
amount value. Money
amount values must be integers and greater than, or equal to, 100 .
- Make sure the Money amount value is specified in in the smallest denomination of the currency you are using. For example, the smallest currency denomination for USD is pennies.
- Make sure the Money amount value is specified as whole number. Do not use decimal numbers.
- Make sure the Money amount value is greater than, or equal to, the minimum amount for your currency.
Read more about working with monetary amounts.
SqPaymentForm iFrame isn't loading
Cause: The hosting site does not have HTTPS enabled or the page is rendering with the payment form in a hidden div.
Secure your site with TLS to enable HTTPS calls or serve your website on localhost to test.
We strongly recommend against putting the payment form in a hidden div because it leads to rendering problems. If you
must use the payment form in a hidden div, call
SqPaymentForm.recalculateSize() when exposing the div to force
SqPaymentForm to re-render the iframes.
If you continue to have errors after, try opening your browser's development console to check for errors in the console log.
I didn't receive my webhook notification
Cause: Square Webhook notifications typically send within 60 seconds of the event. But some notifications may take up to 30 minutes. If the Square Webhooks service times out or does not receive a response from your webhook listener the notification will drop and the Webhooks server will not resend the notification.
- Wait up to 24 hours.
- Supplement your webhook listener with regular requests to the list or query endpoints for the associated APIs.